The striker won’t be first choice at Old Trafford this season, suggested the Special One.
Jose Mourinho has drawn the battle lines with Manchester United boss David Moyes after blaming him for the ongoing Wayne Rooney saga.
United host Chelsea at Old Trafford on Monday night in the first meeting of Moyes and Mourinho in their respective new roles and the Special One has already begun to stir up a burgeoning rivalry as he continues to pursue Rooney’s signature, with a third bid for the England striker thought to be imminent.
The Premier League champions have so far insisted the 27-year-old is not for sale this summer and have already knocked back two offers from the Blues but Mourinho is reportedly determined to land his man, suggesting the entire episode was Moyes’ fault as he hinted last month that Rooney would play second fiddle to Robin Van Persie this season.
Asked if the new Red Devils chief should be held responsible, he said: “Of course.”
And when questioned over whether he expects to be the recipient of a hot reception at the Theatre of Dreams, the 50-year-old delivered a bemused reply.
“They are against me?” he told BT Sport. “But I didn’t say [to Rooney] you will be a second-choice for me. And they are against me?
“We are trying to get a player that a manager told ‘You will be a second option’ for him. We are not going for Van Persie.
“They don’t have to be against me. If I say Ramires is a second option for me and he plays when Lampard is tired or injured, if someone comes here to get Ramires, nobody is upset.”