George hints at new deal before season starts.
Indiana Pacers star Paul George has revealed that he expects to sign a contract extension with the franchise before the new season starts.
The 23-year-old made the headlines back in July when he hinted that it “would be tough to say no to Kobe” and the Los Angeles Lakers if they came calling next summer when he enters free agency.
Having become a vital part of the Pacers roster over the past two years, George has gone on to establish himself as one of the best talents in the NBA and will be hopeful of leading the franchise one step further to the Finals this year.
He seemingly dismissed the possibility of leaving Indiana on Wednesday, hinting at the possibility that the two parties are ready to sign a new deal before the new season gets underway in late October.
“(A long-term contract) is going to get done,” George told The Indianapolis Star. “There will be a deal signed and sealed on the table before the season. We’re (George and Pacers management) on the same page.” …
Pacers president Larry Bird said earlier this week that he hoped the deal would be sorted prior to the season starting as it could act as a potential distraction when the campaign begins.
George has undoubtedly grown into the star on the Indiana roster, and will hope to tie up the deal before focusing on helping the Pacers dethrone the Miami Heat.
Indiana have added depth to their roster over the summer, and having retained George and Roy Hibbert, coach Frank Vogel will be confident of their chances.