Expect to see a lot more of Harry Redknapp in this position…
Harry Redknapp expects to be confirmed as the new Queens Park Rangers manager very shortly and is looking forward to the challenge of dragging them from the foot of the English Premier League, he said Friday.
“Hopefully we can get it done tonight, there shouldn’t be any problems,” he told Sky Sports television in a telephone interview.
QPR are bottom of the Premier League without a win and Mark Hughes was sacked as the west London club’s head coach earlier Friday.
“There are a couple of bits to be sorted out tonight but I’ve left it to other people and said I want it to happen because it’s a club I want to manage,” Redknapp said.
“I’m looking forward to it. It’s a big challenge and a tough job to take on — but I’m up for the challenge.
“If everything gets sorted, and I’m sure it will, I’ll be in Sunday morning, will have the team in training on Monday.”
Redknapp said he would be watching QPR from the stands when they travel to second-placed Manchester United on Saturday.
The former Portsmouth and West Ham boss said he hoped to bring in Kevin Bond and Joe Jordan as his assistants, reuniting the back-room staff he had at Tottenham.
He left the north London club at the end of last season under a cloud after falling out with chairman Daniel Levy after the England job he hoped to get went to Roy Hodgson.
The move for Redknapp comes just hours after Hughes was dismissed.
“Queens Park Rangers Football Club has today (Friday) terminated the contract of manager Mark Hughes with immediate effect,” the club announced.
QPR, who avoided relegation on the final day of last season, are the only club in the English league system yet to have won a game, having played 12 matches so far.
Hughes had received backing from the club’s Malaysian owner, Tony Fernandes, in recent weeks, but last weekend’s 3-1 loss at home to fellow strugglers Southampton left them five points adrift of safety.
“This decision has been taken after careful consideration by the board of directors, following numerous meetings over the last few days,” read a statement on the QPR website.
“Mark has shown integrity and professionalism throughout his time here, but ultimately the circumstances we find ourselves in have left the board of directors with very little choice but to make a change.
“The board will now be working actively to put a new managerial structure in place as soon as possible.
“Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki will take charge of the Rs’ trip to Manchester United in the Premier League on Saturday.”
Hughes is the second Premier League manager to lose his job this season, after Roberto Di Matteo was sacked by west London neighbours Chelsea on Wednesday.
The 49-year-old Welshman had only been in charge at Loftus Road since January, but found himself the subject of sustained media scrutiny as he struggled to turn QPR’s season around.
Hughes signed several new players in the pre-season but the team have under-performed badly and the former Fulham manager was the target of anger from fans during the loss against Southampton.
Redknapp, 65, was sacked by Tottenham Hotspur in June.
He has been working in an advisory role at League One (third-tier) Bournemouth, but was recently linked to the vacant managerial position with the Ukrainian national team.
After their visit to Manchester, QPR face three games against other teams in the bottom six.
A trip to Sunderland on Tuesday is followed by a home game against Aston Villa and a clash with Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium.
Download the free fanatix app now for iPhone: Sport news, social features and more!
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr: