Frenchman now expected to search for a new club.
AC Milan midfielder Mathieu Flamini has failed to reach an agreement on a contract extension after his previous deal expired earlier this week.
The 29-year-old enjoyed an improved season last year, adding goals to the Rossoneri’s cause as they fought to the final day of the season to secure Champions League football.
However, it wasn’t enough for the Frenchman to be offered a significantly improved new deal as his old contract expired on Monday, with a difference in wages and duration causing a conflict.
It is understood that Flamini had requested a higher salary whilst also pushing for an additional year to the contract offer, demands Milan were not willing to cater for.
Vice-president Adriano Galliani is said to have been willing to offer a new two-year deal, but that was not enough for Flamini who eyed a lengthier stay given his age.
As a result, the former Arsenal man will now begin the search for a new club, and isn’t likely to make too many friends at Milan by revealing to a reporter that he wouldn’t be against signing for city rivals Inter.
However, following on from his representative making it clear that he is unlikely to agree to Milan’s deal, Flamini has himself confirmed he is without a club for the time being.
“I’m not going to accept the offer of only two years,” he told Corriere dello Sport as reported by football-italia.net.
“At 29, after five season with the Rossoneri, and after the four important goals I scored last season, I deserved diffferent treatment.
“I am disappointed, and I’m going my own way.
“My future? Anything is possible.”
Flamini was clearly disappointed with the treatment he has been handed, but nevertheless it would appear the Rossoneri will now step up their interest in Sampdoria’s Andrea Poli, with the 23-year-old expected to sign this week.