The Chicago Bears have confirmed that the Bears will continue on with Jay Cutler as their starting QB despite recent rumors they were looking to trade him.
On Wednesday afternoon, newly-hired Bears GM Ryan Pace – who took over after Phil Emery was fired at the end of the 2014 season – said that the team is committed to Jay Cutler as Chicago’s starting QB, according to Bears reporter Michael C. Wright.
Ryan Pace on Cutler: “We’ve made that decision. We’re moving forward with Jay Cutler as our starting quarterback.”
— Michael C. Wright (@mikecwright) March 11, 2015
Despite recent reports that the Bears were looking to trade Cutler and avoid paying him some or all of the over $25 million he is owed by the team in 2015, the Bears denied any attempts to trade Cutler, and NFL.com insider Ian Rapoport confirmed that none of the teams that have been looking for a new QB were asking about Cutler.
On Jay Cutler: I spoke with as many QB-needy teams as I could to see if #Bears GM Ryan Pace tried to trade Cutler. None said he did.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 11, 2015
Yesterday it was reported that the Bears had no intention of letting Cutler go, and ESPN NFL insider Chris Mortensen reported there was “absolutely no truth” to the rumors that Cutler was being placed on the trading block.
Despite putting up a career-high 28 TDs and 66.0% completion rate in 2014, he led the league with 18 INTs and recorded his worst starting record as a starter since entering the NFL in 2006. The Bears finished the season with a 5-11 record and head coach Marc Trestman was fired.
Last week the Bears also traded one of Cutler’s top receiving targets, Pro Bowl WR Brandon Marshall, to the Jets for a 5th-round draft pick.