Blues have been monitoring Oranje star for some time now.
Chelsea’s hopes of signing coveted Vitesse Arnhem midfield player Marco van Ginkel have stalled with the youngster wanting guarantees that he will be given significant first-team playing time at Stamford Bridge next season ahead of the 2014 World Cup, says the Daily Mail.
The west London club have been keeping close tabs on the up-and-coming Netherlands international all season long, with new Blues boss Jose Mourinho expected to make a move for the 20-year-old when the summer transfer window reopens on July 1.
However, those plans have since been put on hold after Van Ginkel asked the Portuguese for reassurances regarding his first-team opportunities in the capital next season, with the Dutchman said to be concerned that if he spends the majority of the 2013-14 campaign warming the substitutes’ bench at the Bridge, then he will be putting in jeopardy his chances of going to next summer’s World Cup finals in Brazil.
Van Ginkel, who has netted 23 goals in his 111 appearances in all competitions for Vitesse since making his debut for the club in the 2009-10 season, has been capped on just the one occasion to date by the Oranje since receiving his first call-up last year.