The FBS’s leading rusher Melvin Gordon hopes to clinch Wisconsin’s 3rd Big Ten title game appearance in four years.
READ MORE:Ray Rice reinstated – Top 5 possible landing spots for RB who punched his wife Jadeveon Clowney injury – No. 1 overall draft pick out with injury Liverpool Luis Suarez replacement – Liverpool to pay top dollar to find Suarez’s replacement
Two weeks ago Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon broke the FBS record for rushing yards in a single-game, setting him up for a possible Heisman trophy – but the following week Oklahoma RB Samaje Perine broke the record again, putting a bit of a damper on Gordon. He is still a Heisman contender, but now he needs something more in order to go over the top and beat out Oregon QB Marcus Mariotta or Ohio State QB J.T. Barrett for the award.
Nothing makes a case quite like a win though. Wisconsin is seeking a return to the Big Ten title game, and can achieve just that with a win over Minnesota today. But Minnesota has a great rushing defense that was able to keep Nebraska star RB Ameer Abdullah on ice. If Melvin Gordon really is the star, Heisman-caliber RB that deserves the award, he needs to not only lead the Badgers to a win, but really wow the voters in the process.
Here are the top five games to watch in Week 14 of College Football:
5. #6 Ohio State vs. Michigan – It doesn’t matter what the record is, when these two bitter Big Ten rivals take the field they give it their all. Michigan may be a heavy underdog, but despite their record they have as good a chance as any to take down Ohio State and avenge their seemingly lost season.
4. #14 Wisconsin vs. #18 Minnesota – As always, any game with Melvin Gordon will be fun to watch, but with the winner of this game advancing to the Big Ten title game to face Ohio State, the stakes are higher than they’ve ever been.
3. Florida vs. #3 Florida State – Florida could be FSU’s greatest challenge yet – the Seminoles have beaten their two power conference opponents by a grand total of 12 points. If there is any team that the Seminoles could see their 27-game undefeated streak end against, it will probably be against the Florida Gators, who also have one of the top defenses in the FBS.
2. The Egg Bowl:#4 Mississippi State vs. #19 Ole Miss – Before the season started nobody really paid any attention to either Mississippi State or Mississippi. But now this game has incredible stakes with a Mississippi State win possibly resulting in a trip to the college football playoffs, while a loss will undoubtedly end their season. Ole Miss has the homefield advantage so this game will be a fun one to watch.
1. The Iron Bowl: #15 Auburn vs. #1 Alabama – The Crimson Tide are seeking revenge from their upset loss in last year’s game that kicked them out of the SEC Championship. There is no rivalry quite like the Iron Bowl and this game, much like the Iron Bowls of years past, has as many star players as motivations to win for everyone playing.