The Cleveland Browns suffered buyer’s remorse almost immediately after drafting Johnny Manziel in 2014.
Cleveland Browns QB Johnny Manziel apologizes to team
Cleveland Browns replace Jordan Cameron by signing TE Rob Housler
Cleveland Browns QB Johnny Manziel to leave rehab as early as next week
Cleveland Browns head coach Mike Pettine refuted rumors that the team was planning to move on from QB Johnny Manziel and said the second-year QB is still a part of their plans.
Mike Pettine told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer during a press conference that the Browns have no plans to move on from Manziel despite his lackluster rookie season followed by his recent stint in rehab for alcohol and drug use.
Pettine on report the #Browns have “90% moved on” from Manziel: “I filed that one in the ridiculous category. He’s v. much in our plans.”
— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) April 21, 2015
As to Pettine’s plans with the Browns, he has not ruled out Manziel having a role with the team in 2015.
“His career with us hit the pause button,” Pettine said.
Manziel and Pettine both joined the Browns in 2014 – Pettine was hired after serving as defensive coordinator for the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills from 2009 to 2013, while Manziel was the first-ever freshman QB to win the Heisman Trophy as the starting QB of the Texas A&M Aggies from 2012 to 2013, but was a controversial figure for his constant partying and drinking. Despite the risks, the Browns took Manziel with the No. 22 pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
The Browns struggled to keep Manziel under control in 2014 – he flipped off the Washington sideline during a pre-season game and was reportedly involved in a brawl near a Cleveland apartment complex. He also missed a practice in December after he was rumored to have spent the night before partying and ended the season on injured reserve after playing in just three games all season. Manziel was checked into rehab in late January and completed the program last week.