Froch had been close to agreement on Chavez Jr bout in March…
Froch nearly there on Chavez Jr fight: Brit edges closer to Vegas date.
DeGale’s trainer says Froch looking for easier fight: McDonnell says champion doesn’t want DeGale fight.
Froch ordered by IBF to start DeGale talks: Chunky is mandatory challenger for the title.
WBA and IBF super-middleweight champion Carl Froch has suffered an elbow injury which will keep him sidelined until the summer and ruins hopes of a Las Vegas bout in March.
The 37-year-old suffered the injury in training which rules him out of a fight against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr on March 28 and puts in doubt his reign as IBF champion.
“I’m disappointed to have to let this opportunity go but at this stage in my career I have to make every fight count,” said Froch.
“I will get some treatment and then we will look to make this fight or another big fight in the early summer.”
The IBF had given Froch until January 31 to agree to terms on facing his mandatory challenger for the belt, James DeGale, or face it going to purse bids. However, with the injury now coming into play, he will have to give up the belt with his rival set to take on the next best contender in April for the vacant title.
Promoter Eddie Hearn added that Froch had made the right decision to sit out as he has gone into previous fights with injuries and paid the price.
In addition, he revealed that they would have another meeting next week to discuss 2015 and he was confident that Froch would be back in the ring this summer.
However, Froch also got people talking on social media after he posted the tweet below which seemingly hinted at the possibility of hanging up his gloves. Yet the comments made by both Froch and Hearn would suggest that he isn’t done fighting just yet.
Something nice about this picture….. pic.twitter.com/yN66tAhuDM
— Carl Froch (@Carl_Froch) January 18, 2015
Meanwhile, DeGale will now likely face Andre Dirrell for the IBF strap, although Mexican Gilberto Ramirez is also in contention despite suggestions from Ambrose Mendy, DeGale’s adviser, that he has heard from their camp that they believe the fight is too soon for him.
Mikkel Kessler and Rocky Fielding have also been mentioned as possible opponents, but it remains to be seen who DeGale will have to face with Froch no longer an option.