Blame game continues as there is still no deal in place for May 2…
Mayweather denies Pacquiao fight nearly done: Money claims rival’s camp is lying.
Mayweather-Pacquiao done deal: Report claims agreement reached.
Arum says Mayweather-Pacquiao deal finalised in couple days: Promoter confident deal is close.
Promoter Bob Arum has slammed the lack of urgency being shown from Floyd Mayweather to agree on a fight with Manny Pacquiao for May 2.
Reports over the weekend from TMZ suggested that the fight was a done deal, but it has since been revealed that the two parties are still negotiating as many were left disappointed with the lack of an announcement at the Super Bowl.
Pacquiao has insisted that he has agreed to terms of the deal including a 60-40 purse split in favour of his opponent, as well as the drug-testing protocol, venue, date, order of ring-walks and the name of the fight (Mayweather-Pacquiao),
However, Mayweather denied that a deal was close with an Instagram post earlier this week and insisted that the other side continued to lie about the situation.
With fans being left frustrated yet again, Arum has claimed that it is Mayweather who is to blame for the delay as his lawyers continue to find issues and have shown no urgency to get the deal completed.
“The thing that really concerns me is that we are running out of time for May 2,” he told ESPN.
“If you want to drag this out a little longer then move the fight to later in May — May 30 is a good date — or go in June. We agreed to go on May 2 because that is the date Mayweather is hung up on, but if we’re going to go on May 2 we need to get this done.
“There are issues that should be solved in 10 minutes, but it’s a slow dance,” Arum said. “We send one draft to their side and their lawyer sends back a draft with something else that’s an issue. And there doesn’t seem to be any urgency about it on their side. It’s terrible.”
The two fighters met face-to-face for the first time at an NBA game last Tuesday before meeting again in private later that night in Pacquiao’s hotel suite.
Naturally, that suggested progress was being made, but it appears as though negotiations have hit a snag yet again with HBO and Showtime also finalising a deal over a joint pay-per-view telecast.
It is understood that the two fighters have agreed on the basic points of the fight, but there are still various issues to address both from a fight and broadcast perspective before they are close to announcing anything.