Arsenal’s bid for Luis Suarez is seemingly doomed…
Liverpool owner John W. Henry has criticised Arsenal’s approach for Luis Suarez via his Twitter account.
What do you think they’re smoking over there at Emirates?
— John W. Henry (@John_W_Henry) July 24, 2013
The tweet follows Arsenal’s £40m plus 1p bid made last night, which has obviously riled the Reds owner. The unusual bid was an attempt from the Gunners to activate a release clause – as rumours were circulating that an offer north of £40m would force Liverpool to accept, and thus let Suarez start negotiating with the Londoners.
Henry’s statement however pours water on these claims – and reiterates what manager Brendan Rodgers has said – that Suarez is worth closer to the £55m PSG recently paid for Edinson Cavani.
Arsenal’s cunning attempt to win Suarez’s signature could now backfire on them, meaning Liverpool will flatly refuse to do business with the club, as they had already told the Gunners a £40m bid would be rejected.
The Reds would prefer to sell to Real Madrid, and not to a direct league rival. Arsenal’s bid, which has been deemed disrespectful in some circles, will only confound this.
Real Madrid could re-enter the race to sign Suarez if a proposed deal for their Argentina striker Gonzalo Higuain to join Napoli does go through.
This could mean that Arsenal could end up missing out on both Higuain and Suarez this summer, after making it their absolute priority to sign at least one of the star strikers. They refused to meet Real Madrid’s asking price for the Argentine, and the comments from Liverpool’s owner shows how unwilling his club are to do business with the Gunners.