What was once such a special relationship appears to be no more after Arsene Wenger revealed that he no longer speaks to former midfield star Cesc Fabregas, the Daily Mirror reports.
The Spaniard left the club back in 2011 to return to hometown club Barcelona, but he is gearing up for his first return to the Emirates with new side Chelsea on Sunday.
Wenger has called for fans to show respect to their former hero when he returns, despite the fact that he has been ignoring him, too.
Fabregas once said that he saw Wenger as a “second father” to him, but has revealed that the pair have not spoken since he linked up with the Blues last summer.
There is a sense that Wenger sees Fabregas joining the Blues as the ultimate betrayal because of his intense rivalry with Jose Mourinho.
Fabregas also heartbreakingly revealed that last year was the first time that he failed to receive a birthday text message from his former boss.
“The regret I have is that he wanted to leave here. This club and myself had a very positive influence on Cesc’s life, so I would be a bit uncomfortable to have to justify today why he is not here,” Wenger said.
“I believe I would rather it was the other way around. We will have to discuss (why Arsenal didn’t re-sign him) that one day. With all the terms. It’s not as clean as that.
“I cannot speak to you about that now because that will not help us to win the game on Sunday.”