Gunners believed to be responsible for mega-bid for Uruguayan goal-machine.
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has revealed that the club has rejected a bid of nearly £50m for Arsenal target Edinson Cavani but says he is not interested in selling the striker.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger revealed last week that the Uruguayan goal-machine is among the names on his transfer wish-list but the 25-year-old has a €63m (£52.8m) release-clause and signed a new five-year with the Italian outfit last summer.
Cavani has been on sensational form for Napoli this season, netting 17 Serie A goals in just 18 appearances and seven goals in just three starts in the Europa League.
But De Laurentiis has insisted the player will not be sold this month, despite reciveing a huge bid for the former Palermo hit-man.
He told La Gazzetta dello Sport: “For Cavani I have already received a €55million (£46.1m) bid, and I said no. I need him, not the money.
“I trust in his professionalism. He knows that here he is ‘the number one’, while I believe that in other places or in teams he could not identify with the city, the jersey and the fans like here.”
Cavani’s scored his 100th goal in Serie A as Napoli drew 1-1 draw against Fiorentina on Sunday.
Check out the latest Arsenal vs Liverpool odds now! Why not have a flutter on Liverpool to win 1-0 at 10/1!
Download the free fanatix app now for iPhone: Sport news, social
features and more!
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook: