Richmond remains confident of keeping hold of star defender Alex Rance but the Tigers have not put a timeframe on when he will sign a deal beyond 2015.
Richmond star Bachar Houli allegedly labelled a ‘terrorist’ by prominent media figure
Sydney Swans coach John Longmire calls for increased security following Alastair Clarkson incident
Hawthorn defend coach Alastair Clarkson after post-match scuffle with Port Adelaide fan
The 25-year-old was superb in 2014 and was named in the All-Australian side.
Rance could command a salary upwards of $800,000, however reports last week suggested he could remarkably walk away from the game.
Richmond football manager Dan Richardson said the club met with Rance and his agent Tom Petroro on Thursday, but said negotiations were “on-going”.
“We had another positive meeting today with Alex and his manager Tom Petroro,” Richardson said in a club statement.
“While we are working towards a positive outcome for all parties, we are not in a position to put a timeline on when negotiations will be concluded.
“These discussions will continue to be on-going, and will remain between Alex, Tom, and the club.”
According to AFL.com.au, Rance is believed to have had interest from Fremantle and Brisbane but speculation has recently revolved around whether he will continue to play the game at all.
Rance’s departure would be a massive blow for the Tigers, with the All-Australian a vital cog in the side’s backline.
The Tigers are 2-2 in 2015, but are coming off the back of one of its worst performances in recent memory after going down to Melbourne last Friday.
Damien Hardwick’s side face Geelong at the MCG on Saturday.