The latest news on what is set to be the biggest transfer of all time…
Gareth Bale’s Tottenham future could be decided in the next 48 hours, with billionaire owner Joe Lewis adamant that his club will not sell for anything less than £100m, reports The Mail on Sunday.
An insider apparently said: “It isn’t just Daniel Levy involved now. It is Joe Lewis who is going to be facing Florentino Perez at the negotiating table. He wants to meet Perez and resolve the Bale situation.
“The main outstanding issue is one of cash, rather than the question of which player, if any, comes to White Hart Lane from the Bernabeu. The sides are still some way apart.”
Real Madrid however, only want to pay £20m upfront, with the rest of the enormous fee set to be paid in monthly instalments, according to The Mirror.
Portuguese fullback Fabio Coentrao is also wanted as part of the deal, but the player is unsure a move to Spurs would further his career, the report says.
Alternatively, Tottenham could flatly refuse to meet Real Madrid to discuss a deal for the player, reports The Telegraph.
Andre Villas-Boas has criticised Real Madrid for publicly coveting the Welsh flyer, and has no intention of giving in to their bullying, he told Sky Sports.
If Tottenham were eventually forced into selling the 24-year-old however, they have targeted moves for Porto’s Colombian striker Jackson Martinez, or a sensational swoop for Arsenal target Luis Suarez, according to The Sunday Times.
Spurs are desperate for another top-class forward to back up incoming Spaniard Roberto Soldado.
Martinez scored 26 league goals in his debut term in Portugal last season, and is a far more likely, attainable target than Suarez. The Liverpool man is desperate for Champions League football, and would unlikely move to another English club not in the competition.
Finally, Spurs will use some of the Bale money to improve their central defence, after Michael Dawson picked up an injury, and Steven Caulker joined Cardiff last week, reports The Metro.