We take a look at the performances of The Netherlands and Costa Rica as Louis van Gaal’s Dutch team edge through to the semi-finals on penalties.
The Netherlands have become the fourth and final team to make it through to the semi-finals of the 2014 FIFA World Cup after a 4-3 win on penalties against Costa Rica following a tense 0-0 draw in Salvador.
The Dutch dominated the majority of the game but failed to break through, hitting the woodwork through a Wesley Sneijder free-kick and a Robin van Persie effort in injury time that was somehow deflected onto his own bar by a Costa Rican defender.
As extra time ticked on, however, the underdogs looked just as likely to win it, as Jasper Cillessen saved brilliantly from Marco Urena, before Sneijder hit the bar once again.
Here are fanatix’s player ratings from a pulsating quarter final.
GK) Jasper Cillessen
8 – The sporadic nature of Costa Rican attacks made things harder for Cillessen, who did brilliantly to save from Urena in injury time. Also dealt remarkably well with being withdrawn for the penalty shoot-out.
CB) Stefan de Vrij
7 – Solid and commanding performance from the Feyenoord man, again showing why he is being linked with a move abroad.
CB) Ron Vlaar
<strong6 – Concrete Ron was largely solid, but is the most susceptible Dutch defender to someone running at them and was very fortunate not to concede an extra time penalty.
CB) Bruno Martins Indi
7) – As with de Vrij, he was extremely solid, and it isn’t hard to see why a move away from the Eredivisie seems to be imminent.
RWB) Dirk Kuyt
6) – Continues to give his all in an unfamiliar position and van Gaal clearly likes his tenacity, but lacks the genuine quality to unlock teams in attack.
LWB) Daley Blind
7) – Very little to criticise, but hasn’t really lived up to the stunningly high mark that he set for himself in Holland’s opening game against Spain.
CM) Wesley Sneijder
8) – The best display of the tournament so far from Sneijder, who created chances for his teammates, found space at will and hit the bar twice with stunning long-range efforts.
CM) Giorginio Wijnaldum
6) – Didn’t really justify the faith shown in him by van Gaal, but looks like a tidy and talented young footballer.
ARM) Arjen Robben
7) – Remained a fairly constant threat, but largely well marshalled by a particularly impressive Costa Rican defence – was also evident that he made an effort to stay on his feet as much as possible.
ALM) Memphis Depay
6) – Has looked most dangerous for the Dutch in this tournament when coming off the bench, a trend that continued with a reasonable but unexciting performance.
SC) Robin van Persie
7 – Kept getting into the position but this wasn’t his night in front of goal, the Manchester United man missed numerous chances to settle this before the penalty shoot-out.