Blues are still expected to unveil Portuguese in his new role on Monday though.
The Premier League have been forced to apologise to Chelsea after their official website published a story stating that Jose Mourinho had become the new head coach of the west London club, says the Daily Mirror.
The article only went live on the organisation’s website for a short period of time on Saturday night and had been dated for Monday June 3 under the headline: “Jose Mourinho makes Chelsea return”, before going on to say: “Portuguese coach is back at Stamford Bridge after signing a xx-year contract.
“Jose Mourinho returns for second stint as Chelsea manager. Portuguese signs x-year-deal.”
The Portuguese oversaw his final match in charge of Spanish giants Real Madrid on Saturday as los Blancos ended what has been a difficult season for the club with a 4-2 win over Osasuna at the Santiago Bernabeu.
That win saw Madrid end their league campaign as runners-up to arch-rivals and champions FC Barcelona, meaning that Mourinho and Co have relinquished the title which they won in record-breaking style last year.
And, as if to make matters worse, Madrid also lost the Copa del Rey final 2-1 to city rivals Atletico de Madrid on their own ground, as well as exiting the Uefa Champions League at the semi-final stage for the third year in a row.
All of which led to Mourinho and the club mutually deciding to go their separate ways this summer, despite the fact that the self-styled ‘Special One’ has a contract in the Spanish capital until June 30 2016.
A spokesman for the Premier League said of the incident: “It was a publishing error. We took it down as soon as we were notified of it, and we’ve spoken to and apologised to Chelsea.
“We have no prior knowledge of any movement or any announcement (regarding Mourinho).”