Two-time Superbowl champion head coach Tom Coughlin may be one of two New York football head coaches to get a pink-slip for Christmas.
READ MORE:Carmelo Anthony NY Knicks criticism – Knicks star goes off on team Kevin Durant Thunder injury – NBA MVP expected to return from injury John Wall beats Miami Heat – Wizards star dominates in win over Heat
Is there a single team in the New York City area that isn’t hurting right now? The Jets, the Giants, the Yankees, the Mets, the Knicks, the Nets – all of them are simply terrible. More to the point, the Jets are 2-10, the Giants are 3-9, no decent QB play in a QB-driven league, no defense in an offense-driven league, and come Christmas at least one of the head coaches (most likely Jets head coach Rex Ryan) will find a pink slip in his stocking.
The Jets and Giants have vastly different sources of their problems: the Giants have been too loyal to underperforming players, coaches and executives that were resting on their laurels from Superbowl wins in 2007 and 2011, while the Jets have simply been unable to develop what little talent they’ve been able to find and have made some of the most foolish football decisions a team could possibly make. If the two teams don’t get it in their heads to sufficiently clean house after 2014, there could be a serious culture of dysfunction that develops that could poison the two storied franchises for years to come.
Here are the five worst teams in the NFL heading into Week 14:
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Said it before: this roster is too talented to blow games like that. Will say it again: That comes down to bad coaching. Sadly for Buccaneers fans, the Buccaneers ownership is too high on Lovie Smith’s prior success to nuke the program after one year.
4. Jacksonville Jaguars – Not going to get too worked up over Blake Bortles’ performance against the Giants. After all, Raiders QB Derek Carr had a similar game against the Chiefs and imploded one week later.
3. Tennessee Titans – If the Titans want to guarantee their choice of QB in the 2014 NFL draft, they might as well start Jake Locker against the 2-10 Jets and 2-10 Jaguars. Nothing will define the Titans season more than having Locker lose his way into the Titans drafting his replacement.
2. New York Football Teams – In the last 48 hours the Jets and Giants have collectively squandered leads when they had (relatively) complete control of the game. The Brooklyn Nets who have only played 15 games in the NBA season compared to the NY football teams’ 24 have more wins than both of them combined.
1. Oakland Raiders – Now that the Raiders have that winless monkey off the back, they are apparently content to give no effort on any side of the ball for the remainder of the season.