Smith declined to address his felony gun charges or arrest at LAX.
San Francisco 49ers pass-rusher Aldon Smith has told a television station that he is “a good person” in his first interview since his latest arrest.
The troubled star was speaking for the first time after his arrest on April 13 at Los Angeles International Airport after a fake bomb threat.
However, he also faces felony gun charges and DUI charge in Santa Clara County Superior Court, while the Los Angeles Court Attorney’s office have been deciding on potential misdemeanor charges for several weeks.
Nevertheless, Smith has revealed that he is hoping for the truth to come out in the case and is thankful for the support that the 49ers have shown him throughout his issues as ultimately he believes isn’t a bad person but has arguably made silly mistakes.
“Maybe after this is over, you can tell your friends I’m a good person,” Smith told CSNBayArea.com.
“Anybody who hangs around me can tell that. A lot of these things are being painted in a picture that’s not true.”
The 49ers picked up Smith’s 2015 option for $9.754m on May 2, just hours before the deadline, but they do still have the ability to pull the option before the start of the 2015 league year next March.
“The 49ers have supported me,” Smith added. “As you can see, the option got picked up. And if I was a thug or something, I don’t think they’d take those chances.”
The 24-year-old has 42 sacks in 43 regular-season games, and general manager Trente Baalke has previously insisted that the organisation will not just throw out their players as they look to help Smith overcome his troubles and focus on football.