Rondo expected to start against OKC on Wednesday night…
Rondo to have minor procedure: Celtics star to have screw removed from hand.
Lakers may chase Rondo: Lakers reportedly interested in acquiring Rondo in free agency.
Rondo ready to play in season opener: Celtics point guard underwent surgery on broken hand this summer.
Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo has returned to practice after having screws removed from his surgically repaired left hand.
Rondo had previously insisted that he had hoped to make it to the All-Star break in February before having the screws removed, but lingering discomfort forced him to make the decision earlier than expected.
Having returned to practice on Tuesday, the 29-year-old was a full participant in Boston’s off-day session and he is expected to start against the Oklahoma City Thunder at home on Wednesday night.
“[The hand is] a little sore, but nothing I can’t play with,” Rondo said.
Rondo explained that the screws, which were inserted in late September as part of a procedure on his fractured hand, were irritating him recently and he felt as though it was the most appropriate move to make.
The point guard, team physician Brian McKeon and president of basketball operations Danny Ainge all agreed at half-time of Friday’s win over the Indiana Pacers that Rondo should undergo the procedure to remove them on Saturday given that Boston had three days off after their game against the Chicago Bulls.
“I just wanted to go, travel with my team and play in Chicago,” he said. Later he added: “I thought we’d have the day off Sunday anyway, and I thought I could do it Sunday. But they make those decisions.”
Rondo conceded that it is still too soon for him to know how his hand will react to basketball activities, but he did expect some swelling and he insists that he will have a better idea of how it feels after he has played on Wednesday.