Pole’s future is still very much open to debate.
Borussia Dortmund have told in-demand front man Robert Lewandowski that he will not be allowed to join arch-rivals Bayern Munich this summer after all, reports the Daily Mail.
The deadly Poland international had been expected to complete a big-money transfer to the Bundesliga champions for next season, after a sensational previous campaign for Jurgen Klopp’s men in which the 24-year-old netted 36 goals in just 48 matches in all competitions,including 24 strikes in only 31 league encounters.
However, Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke has confirmed that Lewandowski’s dream move to the Uefa Champions League holders will not now take place.
“Robert Lewandowski will definitely not make the switch to FC Bayern in 2013. That’s final. We have informed Robert and his agents now,” Watzke told Bild.
As a result, Premier League champions Manchester United may now step up their interest in the forward, whose contract with Dortmund runs only until June 30 2014, with the Red Devils hopeful of being able to convince the Germans to do business this summer rather than risk losing Lewandowski on a free in 2014.