We take a look at Suarez’s rap-sheet.
Luis Suarez, criticised by his Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers for admitting diving in a Premier League game against Stoke City last October, is no stranger to controversy.
Following is a timeline of incidents involving the Uruguayan international striker:
– Makes international debut for Uruguay against Colombia but is sent off late in the game after receiving a second caution for dissent.
– Having joined Ajax from Uruguayan club Nacional, he is suspended after a half-time changing room row with team-mate Albert Luque.
– Sent off in Uruguay’s World Cup quarter-final with Ghana for preventing Ghana from scoring a last-minute goal by handling the ball on the line. Enthusiastically celebrates Asamoah Gyan’s subsequent penalty miss from the sidelines before Uruguay go through to the semi-finals on penalties.
– Given a seven-game suspension by the Dutch Football Association and fined by Ajax for biting PSV Eindhoven’s Otman Bakkal on the shoulder during a league match.
– Now at Liverpool, he causes controversy with a dive that results in a red card for Everton’s Jack Rodwell in the Merseyside derby.
– Accused of racially abusing Manchester United left-back Patrice Evra during a Premier League match, for which he later receives an eight-match ban and a £40,000 ($64,000, 48,000 euros) fine.
– Handed a further one-match ban after making an offensive hand gesture towards Fulham supporters.
– Sparks controversy again after refusing to shake Evra’s hand as United and Liverpool line-up prior to kick-off in a game at Old Trafford.
– Celebrates a goal against Everton with a comedy dive in front of Toffees manager David Moyes, who had claimed “divers” like Suarez were turning people away from the game.
– Handles the ball prior to scoring the winning goal in Liverpool’s 2-1 victory at non-league Mansfield Town in the FA Cup third round.
– Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers warns Suarez could face punishment from the club after admitting he dived to try to win a penalty against Stoke.
Luis Suarez is 11/5 to get the first goal in Liverpool’s game against Norwich. Get the latest Liverpool vs Norwich City odds here!
Download the free fanatix app now for iPhone: Sport news, social
features and more!
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook: