Poll delivered mixed reviews for James.
Miami Heat star LeBron James has insisted he “doesn’t care” about the results of a recent ESPN poll which revealed a lack of confidence in him from his peers.
As part of the ESPN The Magazine season preview issue, 26 players were given anonymity for a poll which asked which player they would rather have taking the last shot of the game.
While 88 per cent went with Chicago Bulls legend Michael Jordan, the remaining 12 per cent opted for Kobe Bryant, leaving James with no votes.
It is an issue which has irked James in the past, and while he has gone some way to eradicating the doubt from his game it is still felt that there is a lack of confidence in him in pressure situations.
Nevertheless, although sounding somewhat bothered by the results, he insisted that he didn’t care about the poll while also pointing to some examples of where he has produced in big moments.
“Players in our league said that? All right,” James said according to ESPN.
“I really don’t care what 30 guys in our league say about me taking the last shot. I’ve got a few game winners in my career. I don’t let teams hang around too much for the last shot. I don’t think the definition of clutch is who takes the last shot. There are guys who come through for their teams in different circumstances.”
James was a deciding factor in a number of games last season, including in the post-season with inspirational performances against the Indiana Pacers and San Antonio Spurs, but despite winning the past two Finals MVP Awards, he still lacks an element of respect and faith of his peers in general.
However, little of that is likely to matter to him as he prepares for the new campaign where he will look to lead the Miami Heat to a third consecutive title.