Arturo Vidal looks set to miss Chile’s opening game against Australia at the World Cup
Chile midfielder Arturo Vidal looks set to miss his team’s opening World Cup clash with Australia on Friday (BST).
The Juventus star did not train with team-mates yesterday after suffering from inflammation in his knee and is now in a race against time to be fit for the Group B match in Cuiaba.
Some reports are suggesting that Vidal may be cut from Jorge Sampaoli’s squad entirely, which would be a huge blow to Chile’s chances at progressing from their group which also contains 2010 finalists Spain and Holland.
Chile have up until 24 hours before their first match to make any injury replacements.
Midfielder Marcelo Diaz said that whilst Vidal is an important player for Chile, his team were capable of winning without him.
“We will have to wait and see if he can play in these games,” Diaz told media during an open press conference.
“Vidal is one of the best players in the world, he is very valuable and everyone would like to have him.
“But it’s not just one player that will carry the team, it is all of us.”
Vidal has been struggling with inflammation in his knee ever since undergoing surgery for a meniscus problem on May 7.
He played 15 minutes in Chile’s 2-0 victory over Northern Ireland last week, but has not trained with the team since.