Mayweather agitated by questions at All-Star Game…
As the wait for an official announcement drags on, it is time for Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao to stop commenting on talks until they have a definitive answer.
Mayweather says no contract with Pacquiao: ‘Money’ makes claim at NBA All-Star Game.
No Mayweather-Pacquiao agreement: Rafael and Espinoza insist no contract.
Thurman says Mayweather only has Pacquiao option: Other fights won’t generate same revenue.
“Can I ask you a question?” Mayweather asked a reporter at Madison Square Garden on Sunday night, according to Eurosport.
“Please, can I ask you a question? Is this a boxing match? Are we at a boxing match?
“No, this is the All-Star game. I’m at an All-Star event. Please respect my privacy. I don’t want to answer any questions.”
It appears as though the 37-year-old is bored of being asked about the Pacquiao fight, and quite frankly fight fans are bored of their constant denials over an agreement being reached.
Pacquiao has long stated that he has agreed to terms of the contract, and that he is now merely waiting for his rival to sign it. The Filipino superstar insists that he has signed off on a 60-40 purse split in favour of the unbeaten American, a drug-testing protocol, venue, date, ring-walk order and various other aspects of fight night.
Elsewhere, Showtime and HBO have reportedly come to some understanding on a joint pay-per-view telecast, and yet here we are still awaiting for an official announcement.
Media outlets continue to be fooled into thinking that the deal is done at the first sign of speculation. However, they should know as well as anyone by now that until it comes from Mayweather’s mouth or on any of his social media profiles, the fight is simply not agreed yet.
In addition, it is a tiresome task listening to Mayweather being made the sole scapegoat for this. Admittedly, there is an argument to suggest that he is the one holding up the deal, but if ‘Money’, Showtime executive vice-president Stephen Espinoza and various respected boxing writers are insisting that there is no tangible contract, then why not point the finger at Pacquiao for giving us all false hope? Who has actually seen this contract that he keeps speaking of?
After their first face-to-face meeting at an NBA game earlier this month and with Mayweather leaking a video of their private meeting in Pacquiao’s hotel suite later that night, there is genuine grounds to believe that the two camps are making legitimate progress in getting this fight made this time round.
It has been six years in the making and although many fans have grown bored of the situation and given up on it even if it does happen, it is still set to be the biggest bout in boxing history in terms of revenue and it will finally end the questions surrounding who is the better pound-for-pound fighter.
While it seems as though it is only a matter of time before an official announcement is made for the bout to take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on May 2, it would be better if both Mayweather and Pacquiao spared us the hints, denials and all the rest of their publicity stunts until they have a meaningful statement to make.
We now know there is no agreement yet, so get back to us when there is one and save us the drama for the promotional events and more importantly, in the ring.