Brook back in training after recovering from holiday attack…
Malignaggi would love Brook title shot: American still considering his future.
Brook says Khan doesn’t deserve Mayweather fight: Khan still chasing fight.
Brook says Khan not even best in Britain: IBF champ wants domestic showdown.
IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook will hold a press conference next Monday to announce the date and opponent for his first title defence.
Brook won the title back in August after successfully travelling to California and defeating Shawn Porter at the StubHub Center in Los Angeles.
While he had been scheduled to return to the ring in December, a knife attack on holiday ensured that it was postponed as he went through rehabilitation.
Having now recovered and returned to training, Brook will be delighted to return in front of his home fans at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield in March, with promoter Eddie Hearn set to announce the date and opponent on Monday (January 19).
“I can’t wait to finally see Kell make that walk at the Motorpoint Arena as World Champion,” Hearn said.
“2014 was a year of incredible highs and lows and the bravery he has shown to come back from that life threatening injury has been quite remarkable. People doubted Kell before he ripped the World title from Porter in America. The fact is that Kell is a special fighter and I believe he will go on to unify the 147 lbs division, it will be an emotional night for Kell and another big statement will be made.”
Further details for the undercard will also be released on Monday, but all eyes will be on Brook as he looks to make a statement and continue to raise his profile in a packed division.
While Brook and Hearn have made no secret of their desire to secure a fight against Amir Khan, the fact that the Sheffield-born fighter has a belt in his possession means that he will likely command a high level of opposition moving forward if he can retain his belt in March.