Mayweather was speaking courtside at NBA All-Star Game…
Floyd Mayweather was courtside for the NBA All-Star Game 2015 at Madison Square Garden on Sunday night, and he shot down recent reports which claimed he had agreed a deal with Manny Pacquiao.
No Mayweather-Pacquiao agreement: Reports are false that deal is done.
Thurman says Pacquiao is Mayweather’s only option now: Thurman says Pac brings most revenue.
Pacquiao expects Mayweather announcement in a week: Pac-Man confident fight will get made.
Speculation on Saturday suggested that a deal had been agreed with Pacquiao for the fight to take place on May 2, but both ESPN writer Dan Rafael and Showtime official Stephen Espinoza denied that was the case while the latter insisted that there was no contract to even sign.
Mayweather reiterated that point as he spoke to NBA reporter David Aldridge live on the TNT broadcast, where he was inevitably asked for an update on negotiations.
The unbeaten American insisted that he had not signed a contract, but neither had Pacquiao as there were still various issues to sort out before they reached that stage of talks.
Naturally, Mayweather ended by insisting that he hopes that the bout can be made, and so the waiting game goes on deep into February as the fighters continue to exchange mixed messages in the media much to the frustration of the fans.
Pacquiao has long insisted that he has agreed to terms of the deal, including a 60-40 purse split in favour of his rival, along with the drug-testing protocol, venue, date and various other aspects of the fight.
However, the response from the ‘Money’ camp has always been that they are lying as there is no contract for him to even sign, with promoter Bob Arum being singled out by Mayweather in particular.
While progress has been made including with the broadcasters Showtime and HBO on a joint pay-per-view telecast, it remains to be seen when the fight will be officially announced.