Ariza blames Arum for lack of deal with Pacquiao…
Mayweather blames Arum: Floyd says Top Rank holding up deal.
Pacquiao says Mayweather scared to lose: (Video) Unclear if rivals will meet in the ring.
Mayweather vs Cotto 2: Rematch could be set for May 2 instead.
Strength and conditioning coach Alex Ariza has suggested that Floyd Mayweather will still fight on May 2 but it won’t be against long-time rival Manny Pacquiao.
Pacquiao has not been shy in revealing to the media that he has agreed to all the demands of Mayweather, including a 60-40 purse split in favour of the American as well as a drug-testing plan, venue and date.
However, Mayweather responded earlier this week by insisting that Pacquiao has no say in negotiations as he has a boss in Bob Arum. The unbeaten superstar insisted that it was Arum who was holding up talks and not him, and so the pair have again reached an impasse on a possible fight.
While that situation continues to rumble on, speculation has suggested that the pair may look to other fights in the coming months instead with Mayweather linked with a rematch against Miguel Cotto.
Meanwhile, Pacquiao insists that he is just waiting for his rival to sign the contract, but Ariza doesn’t think it will happen.
“[Mayweather-Pacquiao is] not going to happen,” he told ABS-CBN.
“We’re fighting May 2nd but it’s not going to be Manny Pacquiao. Hopefully, Bob Arum will blow away in the wind or whatever. As soon as we get rid of him we can get it on.”
At this stage it is difficult to believe who is telling the truth as the general consensus has been that Mayweather doesn’t really want the fight.
It remains to be seen if a deal can be struck before the end of the month, otherwise these two pound-for-pound greats will likely continue to avoid each other.