Borussia Dortmund have £35 million to spend in the summer but will hope to keep star players despite Arsenal, Manchester United and Bayern Munich interest.
Borussia Dortmund boss Hans-Joachim Watzke has said ahead of Tuesday’s Champions League last 16 second leg clash against Shakhtar Donetsk that the German champions will strengthen their squad for next season, and will hope to keep their best players too.
Star men Robert Lewandowski and Mario Goetze have been linked with the likes of Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Arsenal, and retaining their top talent is vital to Dortmund’s continued progression.
“We will invest significantly for next season, but we will do it without having to take out extra money,” Watzke told German broadcaster Sport1, referring to the £35 million (€40 million) Dortmund have earned so far in the Champions League.
“We will try to get a bit more volume to our forward positions and out wide.”
Having drawn 2-2 in Donetsk three weeks ago, Dortmund host the Ukrainian champions at Borussia’s Signal Iduna Park stadium on Tuesday in the return leg with a place in the Champions League quarter-finals at stake.
With Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski having said he will not renew his contract, which expires in June 2014, Watzke said he hopes to retain his services until then with the Poland star having been linked to rivals Bayern Munich, Manchester United and Arsenal.
“My wishful thinking is that Robert will also play for us next season,” said Watzke, Dortmund’s chief executive officer, but Borussia may be forced to sell their star asset at the end of the season or risk losing him on a free transfer.
Borussia Dortmund will hope to keep star playmaker Mario Goetze, whose release clause of £30m expires in April, with the Germany star repeatedly linked with Arsenal.