Arsenal could yet sign 20 year-old Brazilian Bernard despite Arsene Wenger denying a deal was close to completion for the Atletico Mineiro star.
Arsenal are still very much in the chase to sign Atletico Mineiro playmaker Bernard, according to Brazilian publication O Tempo.
The newspaper report that a deal will be announced after Bernard plays the second leg of the Copa Libertadores final against Paraguayan side Olimpia, which will be his final match for Atletico Mineiro.
The 20 year-old was unsurprisingly keen to focus on winning the South American equivalent of the UEFA Champions League final before he discusses his
“This week I don’t want to talk about transfers,” said Bernard to the assembled press.
“I’m focused on the game and do not want to be ignorant or rude to anyone.
What will happen to me from Wednesday’s not up to me, but the board,” the winger concluded.
O Tempo report that the board have already made their decision.
Bernard will sign a five year contract to move to Emirates Stadium, with the estimated transfer fee going Atletico Mineiro’s way smashing the Arsenal transfer record at around R$72 million (approximately £21m).
Bernard’s ability on the ball, and tenacity pressing from the front will make him a fine asset for the Gunners.
His skill and running cutting inside from the left have quickly seen him become a vital cog in Atletico Mineiro’s creative play, and his sheer will to win has sometimes seen him drag his team-mates through matches too.
Arsenal fans will naturally be wary of the story though, with Arsene Wenger having denied a deal was done for Bernard earlier this week to the Daily Mail.
“Those reports are not true,” said Wenger on Monday.
As the cliché goes however, things change quickly in football, and Arsenal could yet sign Bernard despite Wenger’s denial.