Arsenal are getting closer to signing Velez Sarsfield star Maximiliano Romero for £5.4 million, reports The Sun.
The 16-year-old has been likened to a young Lionel Messi. This is high praise indeed, with the 27-year-old the key man at Barcelona and a four time winner of the Ballon d’Or. Romero is yet to make first team appearance at Velez in a competitive fixture, but has scored twice in friendly matches and is training with the senior squad.
The deal would involve paying £4.5 million for 80% of the player’s rights now, but then let the Argentine stay with his current club for the next two years. The Gunners would then pay an extra £900,000 to complete the deal and buy the remaining 20% when the teenager has turned 18-years-old. This would be a lot of money to pay for an unproven player of this age, and shows that Arsene Wenger clearly rates the youngster highly.