Gunners boss says January signings should be limited.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the mid-season transfer window in unfair and believes clubs should be allowed to sign a maximum of two players in January.
The Frenchman is yet to add to his Gunners squad this month despite being linked with a host of players, from West Ham’s Mohamed Diame to Barcelona superstar David Villa.
Newcastle have been the busiest Premier League club so far, with the struggling Magpies adding no less than five new players, all from France’s Ligue 1.
Arsenal travel to St James’ Park on the last day of the Premier League season on 19 May, and with the race for the Premir League top four tight, the clash could prove crucial.
Newcastle vs Arsenal tickets are still available for the match at St James’ Park on 19 May!
Wenger believes Newcastle’s big spending is unfair on the teams who are yet to play them, particularly as Everton, who are just one place above the Gunners, have already faced Alan Pardew’s side twice.
“I think it should be completely cut out or limited to two players because it is unfair for the league that some teams have played, for example, Newcastle already and then some teams have to face Newcastle still with six or eight new players,” Wenger told reporters ahead of Saturday’s FA Cup fourth-round tie at Brighton.
“They do not face exactly the same team. I believe the number of players you can buy should be limited,” he finished.
Wenger has traditionally been reluctant to spend in January and last season added just Thierry Henry on a short-term loan deal and Borussia Dortmund youngster Thomas Eisfield.
But, with Arsenal trailing fourth place Tottenham by four points and struggling for consistency in the league, the Emirates Stadium club could yet enter the transfer market in the final week.
Download the free fanatix app now for iPhone: Sport news, social
features and more!
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook: