Khan still of course eyeing fight with Mayweather next year…
Amir Khan has revealed that he hopes to face the winner of Saturday’s IBF world welterweight title bout between Kell Brook and Shawn Porter.
The 27-year-old has been particularly vocal of his desire to fight Floyd Mayweather over the past few years, but with the unbeaten American opting for a rematch with Marcos Maidana on September 13, Khan has had to evaluate his other options.
Amongst those options he has also suggested he could face Devon Alexander or Robert Guerrero as he is set to fly out to San Francisco to start training on August 25 with a view of fighting in the first or second week of December.
Khan still believes that he will eventually land his shot at facing Mayweather, but he is aware of the fact that he must continue winning in the meantime and do so in style if he is to finally attract the attention of the pound-for-pound best boxer in the business.
Nevertheless, he also believes that his ability to attract numbers in the UK as well as Asia and Dubai will also stand in his favour when Mayweather considers the financial aspects of such a fight.
However, in the more immediate future, Khan has set his sights on a domestic showdown with Brook, who will be hoping to finally end his wait for a world title when he meets Porter in California on Saturday night.
“I would love to fight the winner of Porter-Brook,” Khan told ESPN. “I’ve fought all over the world and my goal is to get the biggest fights out there and fighting for the world titles.
“Brook built his name up by saying he wants to fight me. He has said less recently because he has to win this and the only way I will fight him is if he beats Porter or a name.”
Given Khan’s chase of Mayweather, it is perhaps slightly hypocritical of the British fighter to lambaste Brook’s desire of facing him in the ring, but it is undoubtedly a fight that the latter has asked for previously with promoter Eddie Hearn publicly putting an offer on the table for Khan to accept.