Ole Miss QB Bo Wallace continues the Rebels undefeated run in a potential trap game with the LSU Tigers this week.
READ MORE:Big XII power rankings – West Virginia doing very well Clowney Texans injury – No. 1 overall draft pick expected to play this week Allen Chicago Bears leadership – Bears DE Jared Allen denies leadership void in locker room?
A rather calm week of college football will be played this week as opposed to the last few weeks with only two matchups between top 25 teams being played, neither of which are even top 15 matchups. Ole Miss and Mississippi State will continue to defend their undefeated streaks in the SEC, but outside of that it appears to be business as usual with most of the top contenders either having the week off or simply getting an easy opponent to play this week.
Here are the 5 best college football games to watch in Week 9:
5. #20 USC vs. #19 Utah – One of only two games this week that pits two top 25 teams against each other, both teams stand at 5 wins and are very much alive in a wide-open Pac-12 South division that has 5 teams ranked in the top 25. USC set several school records in the win over Colorado last week, but the Utes have one of the biggest Pac-12 upsets of the season with their win over previously unbeaten UCLA. Either way, one of these teams is about to get another win over a top 25 team this week.
4. #22 West Virginia vs. Oklahoma State – After beating Baylor, the Mountaineers are all the talk of the Big XII. They face a major test this week against an Oklahoma State Cowboys team that took Florida State to the limit to start the season and is coming off a serious beatdown at the hands of the TCU Horned Frogs. The loser of this game will likely be out of the Big XII title hunt for good.
3. South Carolina vs. #5 Auburn – With the Gamecocks out of sight and out of mind in the top 25, this is the kind of game where head coach Steve Spurrier often pulls a rabbit out of his hat (or visor) and comes away with a win. Whether or not the Auburn Tigers will let them be trapped by the hot-and-cold Gamecocks will ultimately determine if Auburn is ready to head back to Mississippi for another shot at the SEC title or the college football playoffs.
2. #13 Ohio State vs. Penn State – This Big 10 rivalry features two schools that are trying to rebuild themselves since losing legendary coaches. With both teams set for games against #8 Michigan State later this year, the winner of this game could be facing the Spartans with the Big 10 East title on the line.
1. #3 Mississippi (Ole Miss) vs. LSU – The Rebels try to keep their undefeated streak alive against the LSU Tigers, who have lost to two best teams in the SEC – Auburn and Mississippi State – but have a lot more fight in them than they have been given credit for. An Ole Miss win would put them at 8-0 and could elevate them to #2 or even #1 if Mississippi State stumbles at all against Kentucky this week.